Sunday, January 07, 2007

My New Year's Eve

I forgot to post my New Year's Eve night happenings!!! It was quite different this year! One thing I did that was an as usual thing was to go to the church event we were having. But we had a singer I absolutely love! So I had to go! And my friend from work and lots of her singles group from her church were coming to see him too! They had no New Years Watch service this year. So, I had also planned to leave church early to hang out with another friend at a local restuarant/bar. I hadn't been there before and I really wanted to go to a party this year since I normally don't do that. And I wanted to have a drink too (I am an Al-Anon - if you didn't know) for once on New Year's Eve at a party or something like that. Basically, I wanted to do something different this year and I was dead set on making it happen. I did have a few options but things just didn't work out that way!

My cousin called me the same day folks were calling me to invite me or ask me what I was doing for New Year's eve. He was back from NJ for the holidays and he needed to go back to the armory by 2:00 am New Year's morning! So, if I drink, I know I can't drive, I am no good even after one (strong one). So since he needed a ride that basically cut my option to drink. So that was out! No drinking for the night. I had to pick him up at 1 am. And church ended at 12:30 or so.

I wasn't going to stay for the full service at church. I was going to leave early to catch up to another friend. I ended up staying at the church until 12:15 then left to go to my cousins house! I got a call from a friend who was near Westport (our party area here in KC) who needed a ride. So after getting my cousin, we went to get my friend. Who had been sitting at least an hour and it was cold that night too! So my cousin, his wife, my friend and I took him to the armory. NO one was there of course when we got there. So we had to wait. Then the new guy had called to invite me to his friends get together he always goes to. So I told him if he was still there, I would join him as well. But after my cousin left and my friend got home. My friend happens to live in that part of town anyway. And my cousin's wife wanted to come too so she wouldn't have to think about my cousin leaving, and we have a good time together anyway.

So we dropped off my friend, and headed for the new guys get together! He didn't give me correct directions and the party was over by the time I was headed in the right direction. So now we needed gas. He met us at the closest QT and gave me a hug. Then he asked for a ride home - he was driving a friend's truck home for him who had been drinking. He always does this for him he says. Anyway, okay, so now I need to follow him and give him a ride back north to his place and then take my cousin home back to KCK! I was all over the city all night long! I actually don't mind the long drives and can drive straight thru for five hours at a time. I was thinking from the time my friend called me, man, this night is not turning out quite like I had hoped! But the new guy ended up not needing a ride, so I finally took my cousin's wife home and I got home about 4:15. Went to bed about 4:30! I was SO tired by then and was so glad to be home!

But even though the night didn't go any way I had planned, I had fun driving everyone to their destinations and I still got to see everyone I wanted to see that night! Very different and I still had fun. Maybe God didn't really want me to have that drink, huh? That's what I was thinking. And, I had plenty of coolers in my fridge so I could drink later(can you tell I'm a heavy drinker? COOLERS!). And they are still in there today. Just sitting, getting old - if that happens. They probably will sit there until my birthday now - next month. I think I've had them since Christmas.

Today I am also grateful for:
The chance to help out my cousin and my friend that evening. My cousin almost let me out of it that night. Actually, he did. But I really wanted to do it for him, so I insisted he let me take him. It was my chance to see him just before he left for NJ and later to Afghanistan. We will not see him prior to his leaving for Afghanistan. Now we won't see him until 2008.
My ability to ask for what I want when I feel really strongly about it - now. I didn't feel I had that option before.
My higher power, God, who keeps my butt in line when I try so hard at times to do my own thing. For His ability to change me when I still think it can't happen.

1 comment:

Trudging said...

Sounds like a good night