Monday, June 05, 2006

Road Trip!!!! Chicago!!!

Finally able to post again! I really missed my PC over the three day weekend I took! Boy, the week was hard. Only three days to finish all my work and get ready for Chicago. So much to do! The week went fast and then we left for Chicago! I don't normally do well when I am tired and we didn't leave until 10pm Thursday night. So I took first shift. I drove all the way to St. Louis, my friend drove all the way to Chicago. We arrived at 5:45 am, directly into a traffic jam! The AM traffic on Friday morning. Each of us slept while the other drove so we each only had - if we were lucky- only four hours of sleep. And you know we didn't. We kept going all day long on Friday too! We visited a friend of hers whom we spent the night with(couple and their child) and had Menudo for breakfast. Then to the top of The John Hancock Tower to see the sights, shopping, movies, Bubba Gumps Shrimp for dinner, Navy Pier, and that was just Friday!

Saturday: The Art Institute, shopping on Michigan Ave & State, Millennium Park, The Bean, Fountains, Gardens of the World display, Chicago Style Pizza - Giordano's, then dropping off the 4 yr old we had with us all day! Then off to another friends house, to visit, catch up and dancing to many different kinds of Latin music all night long until 4 am! We had so much fun, just doing things as they came up. Getting around on the buses was easy. People there were very helpful and willing to get us where we needed to go. They just started up conversations as if they knew you as a friend!

My friends friends were so open and telling me their home was my home, help myself to whatever! And they were sad to see us go. They gave us their beds to sleep on and fed us and kept us entertained. They were so nice and were calling me family as well even though we had just met! I had fun with them and I will miss them.

Of course the dancing was quite a thrill. I didn't think anyone would ask me to dance, it was a Mexican club, and normally I do not get asked to dance, at least not in my home town! Well, that was not so in Chicago! I was dancing nearly non-stop the entire time I was there! I had to beg to sit down or go to the ladies room! The ladies told to me just stick to my guns because these men tend to think they own you if they dance with you, buy you a drink, or just get too drunk! And that started to happen near the end of the night! They did get very possessive and one got down right psychotic with my friend! Well, he started getting quite angry hovering too much and too close for comfort. I did have to decide between being "nice" or setting them straight about why I was there - just to dance and nothing more! I feel I needed to get a little bit evil but he just kept coming, and therefore, was asking for it. Not accepting "No" for an answer turned me off and got me a little upset and uncomfortable. As I stood my ground, he finally backed of and let me be, but I still had to leave because I could tell he was not very happy with me either! Same as their men who kept being clingy and possessive! But I did have fun dancing while it lasted! I did observe the other two ladies who were with me to see how they were doing since I felt I didn't really know what I was doing. I've never dated before and everything I did at the dance club was very new to me. I didn't know the dances and don't even listen to Latin music on a normal basis! I would normally turn down men too if I didn't know how to dance, but not so this time, I just told them what was up and they helped me out! With others I just looked to see what everyone else was doing and did the same! I had a great time! And all these men and her friends spoke Spanish as their first or only language so I was practicing my Spanish all weekend as well!!! I learned a lot of terms this weekend.

But I really missed my email and blog reading and all that stuff, no geeky stuff this past weekend for me! I am nickin' for it too! More soon! Of course all Hell had to break loose while I was gone! So far away and I am powerless over it anyway! There's where the program kicked in! Thank God for Him and my program!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

woohoo! happy trails to you:)
Thanks for sharing ~

Gooey Munster said...

Dancing is a wonderful way to release yourself. Watch out for those that, um, can be overpowered by alcohol. You don't need to be a part of thier wreakage.

~MsManna~ said...

Thanks Sober chick, I am so glad I have friends to hang with who at least warn me of what to expect and who have morals they live by. I learn so much from them how to stand my ground.

And so they did tell me about how some men act with the alcohol. I did get to see first hand one who had too much and he started to make it quite unpleasant for everyone. Not that I wasn't expecting it, but it still came as a bit of a surprise. I thought they were embellishing their stories. Turns out not so, it was happening to me too.